Online selling has really taken over these days. Recent reports indicate that in 2011, online sales topped more than $200 billion and that they keep increasing every year. This shows that there is so much money that is being made online and it just might be the right time to consider doing business online.
To do business online you will need to start an online store. However to start online store might not be an easy task as many people would think. In fact, it’s such a terrifying thought particularly if you are not so adept with technology. Well, it’s not just you. There are few tips you can follow which might help you in building an online store.
- Decide on the types of products you will be selling
This is the most important thing to consider before you can start an online store. There is a high probability that you will need to work day in day out selling the products online, therefore it will be very crucial for you to choose the kind of products that you have a passion for. At the end of the day, it's just a matter of doing what you love and something that won’t get you bored.
- Decide which e-commerce solution is best for you
The amount of money you have in your pocket or savings and your level of expertise will dictate the type of e-commerce solution that can work well for you when you want to start an online store:
- Hosted: This can work well for beginners since they can help you build your store and house your website on the systems.
- Licensed: These kinds of platforms are installed onto a computer by the owner of the online store and it will be up to you when it comes to hosting and protection.
- Open source: These kinds of platforms can be downloaded for free and then you will have to build your website on your own.
- Build your store
Once you have decided on the type of e-commerce solution that suits your store, you will now start an online store by setting up important pages on the website which include your products, home, and other content pages.
- Pick a brilliant domain name
You will have to choose a suitable web address that customers can use to find your online store. Make sure that its simple, short and one that describes your type of business.
- Getting Paid
When you decided to start an online store you wanted to make money. Before launching it, you have to decide the payment terms so that your customers will know how to pay you. You can choose PayPal or credit cards.
- Marketing your store
Once your website address is ready, you can use strategies such as social media and other forms of marketing to market your store.